Friday

Soup 'N Sketch --- an illustrated recipe


11x17", across a two-page spread in a Stillman & Birn 8.5x11" Epsilon hardbound sketchbook
Pentel Pocket Brush Pen
Waterbrush filled with J. Herbin Gris Nuage
Noodler's Bulletproof Black in an Eversharp Symphony (fine nib) Flex pen
Watercolor (added later)

I decided that last night was "no excuses" night for sketching, even if it was rushed, so while making chicken soup for dinner, I stopped between bouts of chopping and dicing to do this recipe page of my ingredients. I used a black Pentel Pocket Brush Pen, and a waterbrush filled with J. Herbin's Gris Nuage, and did the sketches in monochrome. My intention was to leave it as a black and white sketch, but the longer I looked at it, the more it screamed, "COLOR ME!!!" I fought bravely against the color junkie within me, but in the end, I couldn't resist. While the soup simmered, I added the watercolor splashes.

The soup came out great. It's almost more stew than soup, but that's how we like our chicken soup around here. We had some with dinner, and I put a huge container of it into the freezer for some cold day when I don't feel like cooking.

I'm really loving working these big spreads. There's so much space to draw, write and play with design, and leftover areas for it to all be able to breathe a bit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment