Monday

Megasketch Monday -- My Big Regret

Part of my current "Inspiration Wall" in the studio
Project Megasketch has influenced and improved my art and creativity in more ways that I can count. However, if there were a single thing I wish I'd done differently, it would be this: I wish I'd taken the book apart from the very beginning, and used only one side of each page.  That is my big regret.

Initially, I didn't see that a 600 page bound volume would be a problem. As the page numbers grew, the negative aspects of a double-sided, single volume multiplied. I didn't realize the full impact until the project was over.  If you're part way through the project, and working in a stitch-bound book, you may want to consider changing to a loose sheet system. I wish I had for so many reasons.

To arrive at our destination, we need to use what we've learned, see the path we are on, and use that for inspiration in moving ahead.
  • What has inspired you on your megasketch journey so far? 
  • Which sketches represent what you need to see more of in your work, or a direction you'd like to pursue further? 
  • What have you done that could serve as references for a series, or to chase an idea all the way to its conclusion? 
  • Which ones teach lessons, alerting you when you've taken a wrong turn?
I use a wall in my studio to answer these questions. It influences the way I work. The image above
shows a portion of the display area where I put up works in progress, recently completed paintings and sketches, some that need to dry, others I want as references, bits and pieces of ideas I am experimenting with, and series I'm considering or that are underway. Some are there to remind me of things I want to see more of in my work; others tell me what to avoid. It's my artistic brain dump, mind map, production assistant, teacher, critic, and so much more. It gives me perspective on my work. I was not able to use my inspiration wall with Project Megasketch because of the way I had physically formatted the project.

When I began that drawing project, I thought keeping it together as a book would be the most valuable way to store it as a collection. Working on both sides of each page would insure that I was doing it to learn, rather than to create finished works for shows or galleries. However, Project Megasketch is not the same as having a travel journal, or other smaller collection of works on paper. Much as I love my sketchbooks, Project Megasketch isn't 60 or 100 pages; it's 600 large format pages. I underestimated what that means!

When I reached the end of the project, and wanted to take my knowledge into a more creative zone, or explore subjects further, I was unable to display many of the pages I wanted for information/inspiration on a particular topic, even though I'd removed the signatures from the binding of the book. Some of them had another sketch on the other side that I needed to access simultaneously for that same subject or a different one. This has hindered my ability to make the most creative use of the work I did.

Working on a single side of separate sheets has so many advantages:
  • You can pull out sketches for your own reference later on, and view them together as a group.
  • You'll have the freedom of working on paper with different tooth, weight, color, and quality right from the start. That gives you additional creative options.
  • You can pull your work together by media, subject or quality, to photograph or write about it. You won't have to sort through 600 pages every time you're looking for one of the sketches.
  • You can always have the option of framing or showing something if you decide you want to do so later, without destroying work on the other side, or having it show through your work.
  • If you want to rework a page or add to it, it will be much easier to do so.
  • You can use your work on a light box to create derivative work or a series.
  • You can always bind your work at a later date, grouped by subject, or chronologically, or any way you wish. But you cannot detach work done on both sides of the pages!
If you're a person who might someday use your past work for inspiration for future work, and you're working on many different subjects/styles/media for Project Megasketch, I'd advise the single side, single sheet approach. Find a craft storage box, archival clamshell box, or make something out of your sketchbook covers that can hold all your single sheets. That box or portfolio can be your sketchbook/journal, even though it's not bound. You'll thank me later!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For an overview of Project Megasketch and what it entails, see this post.
To see all of the Megasketch posts, click here. The newest posts will be at the top.
I try to post Project Megasketch installments on Mondays, under the subject heading "Megasketch Monday", but I reserve the right to be late from time to time! ;)
If you'd like to be sure not to miss a post, you can subscribe via email by entering your address on the right sidebar of my site.

2 comments:

  1. I second that view, Jamie. I've been a sketchbook guy for my entire, short art voyage but recently I've started breaking free of the need to generate a pile of sketchbooks sitting on a shelf. When I started my version of the Megasketch (a pale version of your 600page book) I filled a Canson Multi-media book and started a second. As I did this it became clear that it was better to do much of this work on single sheets and so I started using card stock that I could buy by the ream at Staples. While not watercolor paper, this stuff is heavy enough to handle water so it worked for a lot of things.

    I'm now at a point where I'm questioning why I use sketchbooks at all, other than it's in vogue to do so. I see these advantages to using single sheets when sketching:

    1) You only have to carry a few sheets of paper rather than a sketchbook.
    2) You can carry several kinds/sizes of paper without having to carry multiple sketchbooks.
    3) Single sheets are lighter and easier to manipulate when sketching/painting.
    4) How you store/organize completed works is wide open. You can bind them into books, put them into piles or, as I do, stuff them into glassine portfolios which allows you to look at them or show them as you would a sketchbook.
    5) You can put them on a wall as you've shown. Doing this with recent sketches allows some think time to assess them and, again as you've shown, provide jumping off points for future work.
    6) It's CHEAPER :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, thank you for adding to my reasons. Personally, I don't think I'll ever give up sketchbooks. I just love books! There is something about leafing through somebody's sketchbook that is very inspiring. It turns their sketches into a collection, and the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. I sometimes carry single signatures out on location, and then bind them into a book later on. That's a good way to travel light, and have a few different types of paper with me. There are great ways to bind single sheets later also. But for Project Megasketch and some other things too, it makes more sense to work on loose paper. You can always decide what to do with the pages later; we have more options with loose sheets. I love working in my repurposed old books though, and also some sketchbooks I've purchased. (I'm especially loving the Stillman and Birn Nova book with the three colors of paper in a single book!) It's all good; there's a time and a place for everything. :) I think I will always be one of those artists who never settles on doing things only one way, or working in only one medium.

    ReplyDelete