Monday

Holidays in Ink Challenge Week 1

 


Yesterday, I panicked! In spite of my posts and preparation so far, it suddenly dawned on me that Holidays in Ink was starting in two days, and I felt totally unprepared. I had no idea what I was going to sketch when the time came, and I didn't want to get sidetracked thinking about that when it was time to sketch. Are you feeling like that too?

So, yesterday I sat down and made a plan for the first few days, using the prompt lists in the Holidays in Ink post. I can always adjust it, but at least I have a plan. Once I did that, I felt 1000% better. 


You can play along with my plan, create your own from the prompt lists on this post, or do something entirely different. Feel free to post your plan in the Comments. Here's what I plan to do:

Day 1 - Tuesday, November 24

  • Subject Prompt #4 - Birds
  • Process Prompt #25 - Line Quality

Day 2 - Wednesday, November 25

  • Subject Prompt #12 - Hands
  • Process Prompt #15 - Cross Contour

Day 3 - Thursday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Day

  • Subject Prompt #14 - Kitchen (I'm going to be in the kitchen most of the day anyway, so why not make the most of it?)
  • Process Prompt #13 - Contour Drawing (Contour drawings are pretty quick, so I can do a bunch during short breaks in food preparation.)

Day 4 - Friday, November 27

  • Subject Prompt #39 - Trees (It looks like this will be the nicest weather of the week, so I can hopefully do them out on location, or otherwise from my car.)
  • Process Prompt #39 - Ten minute sketches on a page

You may recall that when I created the challenge, I allowed for two days off per week. Holidays in Ink is a challenge to do at least 30 days of sketching in the 40 day holiday period. If I need to miss a day or two, I can make those up on Saturday or Sunday. But I'm hoping to forge ahead and tackle other prompts over the weekend. Also, as there is no set order for the prompts, I can change my mind depending on how much time I have and what I feel like doing that day. I find I'm much more productive if I have a plan in place, even if I'm giving myself the opportunity to deviate from that plan.

Here's a little parting inspiration for your week from writer/comedian Dave Barry: 

Never be afraid to try something new. 

Remember, amateurs built the ark; 

professionals built the Titanic!


2 comments:

  1. That's a great quote about the ark and the Titanic! And I love your tree and bird sketches! I'm eager to get going with ink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ink On !!!! Am going to love watching this journey. Thank you for sharing!!! It is an inspiration for all !

    ReplyDelete