Thursday

Chairs with a Modified Cinquain poem

In case you thought I fell off the face of the earth due to my lack of painting and sketching posts, fear not! My husband is on vacation for the month of August, and we've been having a great time visiting all sorts of places that I plan to go back to with paints! Some things I'm just behind on photographing and posting, due to being busy having so much fun.....Like this one!


You can click this sketch for a larger, clearer view. These are a few favorite chairs sketched from life one evening at home. I did something a little different for me this time; I painted directly with watercolor (no line work), then went back and drew with a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen. I did this for two reasons. First of all, I didn't want the ink to run when I did the watercolor work, and the ink in this pen is not waterproof. Secondly, I didn't want to "paint inside the lines", so doing the line work after I thought would allow for a looser and more interesting look. I'm not quite sure how it worked out, but I think I'll be experimenting more with this approach.

The Modified Cinquain form has five lines that follow the following guidelines:
Line 1 contains a one word subject, which is also the title of the poem
Line 2 contains two adjectives
Line 3 contains three -ing words or other words conveying action
Line 4 contains four words that express feelings or emotion
Line 5 contains a one word summary of the subject

So, my poem (in case you can't read it in the photo) is all about...

Chairs.
Cushioned, comfy,
Supporting, rocking, enveloping.
Encourage our silent musings.
Confidants.

Initially I was thinking of doing this series of "Poetic Sketches" in a single sketchbook. However, with all this work in different books, I am feeling scattered and I'm afraid I will never finish any of them! So, I am returning to working mostly in one book at a time, with the goal of finishing up this Fabriano Venezia book that I started last February. 

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your adventures and how they’re inspiring your art. The sketch is beautiful, and your poetic approach adds such a thoughtful touch. Painting first, then using the brush pen, really gives it a unique, expressive feel. Can’t wait to see more as you revisit these places with your paints, and I totally relate to wanting to finish one sketchbook at a time.

    If you're looking for nearby furniture deals with up to 50% off, be sure to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your approach sounds wonderful! Painting first and adding ink afterward really lets the creativity flow. It’s exciting to see how experimenting with techniques can bring such a fresh, lively feel to your sketches. Can’t wait to see more! And, get the best deals on online furniture collections to upgrade your home with comfort, you can visit here.

    ReplyDelete